Slow cooker (crock pot) is one of my favorite small kitchen appliances and definitely the best way to make dishes that come together only after long, long simmering. Putting everything into a slow cooker is so much easier than baby sitting a simmering stew bubbling away on the stove top! But: slow cooker is slow and if you’d like to have food ready for the dinner (supper) time, you need to remember to fill it up and turn it on 3 to 6 hours in advance. Once all is set and you press the start button, you are free to do whatever and enjoy the day knowing that your delicious dinner is simmering away.
I use my slow cooker often and I find that it works really well for things like stews, or dishes like Vegan Chicken Tikka Masala. Here is another example of a delicious curry that combines tofu, chickpeas and mango with some crushed tomatoes and coconut cream into a fragrant and very creamy curry.
Serve it with Saffron Brown Basmati Rice and you are done!
Creamy Mango & Chickpea Curry Tofu
What you’ll need:
2 16 oz (454 g) tofu blocks, extra firm
28 oz (800g) can crushed tomatoes
2 15.5 oz (439g) cans chickpeas
1 cup mango chunks, frozen
15 oz (425g) can coconut cream
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
What you’ll do:
- Drain or press tofu for 30 minutes. I usually just leave the block of tofu in a strainer and flip the block over once. That’s usually enough for dishes that don’t need the tofu to be super dense and chewy.
- Cut the tofu into single bite chunks. From a 16 oz block I usually get 16 pieces so you can use that as a rough guideline.
- Line the inside of your slow cooker crock pot with a liner. You can skip this step of course – I just recommend it as it makes clean up an absolute breeze. Add the tofu, chickpeas that have been drained, and frozen mango chunks. You can use fresh as well but frozen mango chunks are just something I have on hand for my smoothies so it’s a bit of a staple in my kitchen.
- Add the spices and mix well.
- Dice the onion and slice the garlic. Place in a microwave safe dish, spray with cooking spray and microwave for 5 minutes. This will start the caramelization process of your aromatics and help them develop flavors.
- Pour the onions and garlic over the mango chunks.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and mix again.
- Add coconut cream and mix to incorporate.
- Put the lid on and turn your slow cooker on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- When playing, serve over rice, quinoa or couscous and top with fresh cilantro.
Copyright © Eat the Vegan Rainbow, 2017
5 thoughts on “Creamy Mango & Chickpea Curry Tofu”
This is a new recipe for me, thanks I’ll try it out asap 😁
Hope you enjoy!
LikeLiked by 1 person