There’s nothing easier than French toast – and nothing that brings as much smiles and sunshine to the breakfast table. The secret to a great French toast is the bread, and my preferred kind is of a spongy variety. After all, the point is to get as much as that rich, delicious egg mixture absorbed. Except that for vegans, French toast may seem unattainable given all the eggs, milk, cream and butter that go into it.
Well in the same way I shattered your misconception that you have to kiss your popovers goodbye if you decide to go 100% plant-based, I will now share the amazingly easy and wonderful way to make vegan French toast.
Quick and Easy French Toast
(4 servings, with 3 slices per serving)
What you’ll need:
12 slices bread, soft and spongy
6-8 oz (170-225 g) silken tofu
1 1/2 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups strawberries
1-2 tablespoon powdered sugar
Cooking cooking spray
What you’ll do:
- Place all the ingredients, except bread, strawberries and powdered sugar into a blender and blend until well aerated and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a flat bottom dish big enough for two pieces of bread to soak at the same time side by side. Common pie dish works really well for this.
- Soak the bread for couple of minutes, flipping once.
- Spray the bottom of a frying pan or a griddle with some cooking spray and bring the heat to high. Place the soaked bread on hot surface and cook for 1-2 minutes on high than 1-2 minutes on medium heat. Flip over and repeat the same process to finish off the second side.
- Serve with fresh cut strawberries and a dusting of powdered sugar. You can also go for vegan butter, coconut flakes, chopped nut topping, maple syrup, jam, or a drizzle of melted super-dark chocolate. Regardless of what you choose to top this French toast with, it will bring joy to your breakfast!
Copyright © Eat the Vegan Rainbow, 2017