This recipe is as quick as lightning and perfect for those crazy and hectic mornings. I made it as we were heading out for a day at a beach, as a healthy snack that packs lots of protein, fiber and general goodness.
All you need really is a food processor, and you’ll be done in no time. All ingredients get added one by one, in the order they appear on the recipe list. I recommend switching your cutting blade with the kneading blade once you are done processing oats and apples. Or you can dump your oat/apple mix into a large bowl and continue to combine everything by hand.
To form the balls, scoop out a tablespoon of the mix at a time, then roll the dough around until tightly together. These snacks held up well to the car ride and beach time when kept in a plastic box. They also store well in the fridge and you can enjoy them for several days.
With oats, apple, pea protein powder and hazelnut meal, these balls can also be a quick breakfast as well as the afternoon pick-me-up.
Quick Protein Power Balls with Apples, Hazelnut Meal and Oats
What you’ll need:
1 cup oats
1/2 cup hazelnut meal
1 Granny Smith (or another tart) apple, peeled, cored and processed
1/2 cup pea protein powder
1/4 cup agave syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
1 tablespoon cocoa nibs
What you’ll do:
- Place the oats into a food processor and process into a fine meal.
- Add the apple and process until fully chopped and incorporated.
- Replace the chopping blade with a kneading one, then add the rest of the ingredients, and pulse until everything is smooth and incorporated ( you can do this without a kneading blade, by using a mixing bowl and your hands to mush and mesh).
- Scooping 1 tablespoon at a time, form balls and arrange on a baking sheet, covered with wax paper, or another type of platter.
- Enjoy immediately, pack for a trip, have for lunch or snack – yummy!
Copyright © Eat the Vegan Rainbow, 2018