Summer is great time for adding more vegetables to your daily cooking. This is an easy recipe that may remind you of risottos, but it is really a dish on it’s own as it is made with cauliflower “rice”. Although you could use rice to this dish, I do recommend you give riced cauliflower a try. Enjoy!
Cauliflower “Rice” with Cherry Tomatoes
What you’ll need:
- 1 head cauliflower, riced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, washed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons umami seasoning (this is a mix of salt, mushroom powder, some crushed red pepper and paprika; I get a store-bought seasoning blend, but you can make it yourself)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).
- Add the olive oil to a cast iron pan and place over medium high heat.
- When the oil is heated up, add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the diced peppers, stir well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- When onions and peppers are soft and browned, add the tomatoes, Mix well, increase the heat and let cook for 8-10 minutes with frequent stirring.
- While tomatoes are cooking, prepare the cauliflower. Break the head into smaller pieces and then rice in batches in a food processor. Make sure not to overcrowd the food processor to help the ricing processes. In my food processor, it takes 4-5 pulses of 3-5 seconds each to rice the cauliflower to the size I like.
- Add the riced cauliflower to the pan and mix well. Next, add the umami seasoning, and mix to incorporate.
- Decrease the heat to medium and let the cauliflower “wilt”. This may take 8-10 minutes. Mix everything from time to time.
- Place the cast iron pan into the oven and roast until the top is golden brown. This will take about 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes or so before serving. Enjoy!
COPYRIGHT © EAT THE VEGAN RAINBOW, 2020