Never skip your breakfast – at least that’s what everyone keeps telling you! But: breakfast can be hard to fit in, and quite honestly sometimes I just need to get going. For those mornings when you want to be out the door as quickly as you can, it’s good to have something to grab on your way out. And these delicious breakfast balls pack all you need!
These breakfast treats are definitely make ahead – you will not be able to just whip them together if you are in a real hurry. That said, they are not that hard to make. All you need is a food processor and nothing more. The recipe below lists frozen berry mix, but you could use fresh berries or your choice. In that case, you may need to scale up the amount of dry ingredients to keep everything well glued together.
When working with frozen berries in this recipe, it is important to let them thaw completely, and drain the excess liquid out. You don’t need to squeeze them dry but I recommend using a strainer or a slotted spoon to get just the berries. For defrosting, you could use the microwave or you can leave the berries in your fridge for a day or so and they should be ready to go.
To make these breakfast calls sweeter, I recommend that you use same dried medjool dates. These are ultra-sweet dates that can be used instead of sugar. If you don’t have them on hand, you could go with raisins, or skip altogether, depending on how sweet is your fruit.
What makes these balls real breakfast items is the combination of ground hemp seeds, wheat germ, almond meal, and coconut flour. All these add the body to these and will keep you full and going for hours.
The final touch here is just a pinch of ground cardamom in the almond meal that I recommend that you roll your balls in after you form them. You can, of course, customize the spice (cinnamon, nutmeg or even clover come to mind as things that would work), but cardamom just adds something a bit unusual that you may enjoy. If you are looking for additional make-ahead or raw breakfast ideas, here are two versions of muffins for you – a baked one (gluten-free carrot cake muffin), and a raw one. Enjoy!
Berry Bliss Breakfast Balls
What you’ll need (4-6 servings):
- 2 cups frozen berry mix, defrosted and access liquid decanted
- 6 medjool dates, pits removed
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seed hearts
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup almond meal, divided
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
What you’ll do:
- Defrost the berry mix in the microwave or overnight in the fridge, then decant the access liquid and reserve for a smoothie or something else.
- Place the defrosted berries, dates, and the rest of the ingredients except 1/4 cup almond meal and cardamom, into a food processor and process for 3-5 minutes, until the mix is smooth and combined.
- Using a quarter cup measure or an ice cream scoop, scoop out part of the mix, roll it into a ball using your hands, and eat as is, or roll it into the 1/4 cup almond meal mixed with 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom powder. Enjoy for breakfast, or as a dessert. You can also drizzle some melter chocolate for real dessert flavor. The balls keep well for 2-3 days in the fridge, in an air tight container. They are raw, so best to consume them as quickly as you can!
Copyright © Eat the Vegan Rainbow, 2019
2 thoughts on “Berry Bliss Breakfast Balls on a Roll”
These look quite inviting.
LikeLiked by 1 person